Brick Free is a LEGO-inspired, free roaming escape room, created with 6 other Game Design students. Players must explore and interact with the level in order to reveal new areas and find pieces to a door that will end the game.
As the main programmer and co-level designer of Brick Free, I focused on game level mechanics and how the game operates. I also implemented assets from other team members while creating deadlines for tasks for everyone involved in the game project.
- I created a customized character and camera rig to display an open world perspective view.
- I implemented a custom LEGO character model that I created myself along with it’s animations and textures to work smoothly in game.
- Designed interactive puzzles and environmental interactions to give players and objective role.
- UI system that display prompts, inventory, and other fun interactive button menus.
- Placed triggers for collectibles, object interactions, and accessible areas throughout the level.
- I created an audio source manager that I can manually implement custom sound effects and music to apply in the game.
- Collaborated with another member on the team to design, draw out, conceptualize and produce a level for the game’s setting to take place in.
- I decided to mark up what assets belonged where in the level and added more creative additions from others to be more for everyone.
- I gathered a group of friends ranged from modelers and animators to sound artists and visual effects artists.
- I have created specific tasks for each person and I assembled small teams within the project such as a modeling team and a design team so everyone can collectively discuss and deal out assets to be made that sprint.
- Deadlines are assigned to every member, including myself, and then I would collect assets from everyone every week to see working progress in the game itself.
Seth Usher – 3D Modeler and Level Designer
Eduardo Robert – 3D Modeler
Hannah Martinez – 3D Modeler and Environmental Artist
An Tran – 3D Modeler
Jason Hur – Music Composer
Michaela Caparas – 2D Concept Artist
Credits to Michaela Capraras for creating the Brick Free game logo.